Monday, September 9, 2013

My Puppy is already ONE?!

I am just mind blown by the fact that my sweet little innocent Strike is already 12 months old (as of September 8th). Honestly I thought he would be a little taller. He just seems so small to me, but I'm probably just so used to seeing and being around monster collies.
 So...What now? What are our plans?
Well, I am living in the city during the week to go to college, and I come home Friday afternoon- Sunday afternoon, so my training time and availability is literally cut in half, plus it also depends on the weather.

I STILL need to get the rubber on my contact equipment (I know, I'll get it done soon).
So where is he in terms of contact training?
1.) Dog Walk - On an elevated plank on the ground. About a 90% Jackpot rate right now. Wanting to get that higher before we raise it (or get him on a short dog walk, because I am adjusting my current to do so).
2.) Aframe - Waiting to rubberize my aframe before we get any further in to training with it. Thinking about adding a box, because he's kind of a maniac and likes to two stride the aframe. We'll see when the rubber gets put on!
3.) Teeter - We've been playing the bang game for a long time now. He loves it. I'm very pleased with how he is driving to the end of the plank also (not at full height, obviously).

I raised his jump bar to 14" recently. We're going to start working more on grids, wraps, and all that fun stuff as we build the height of the jumps. So far he is doing excellent!

I have him on channel weave poles that are still almost completely open. My stick-in-the-ground poles are pissing me off and it doesn't help that the ground is hard as a rock right now. So I'm not sure when we'll be able to actually get real weave pole training done soon. Oh well, it can wait!

Mostly we've just been working on handling and reading my body language better. He's a crazy pup, that's for sure.

Trialing? I don't even want to bring that up! Sure, he COULD debut the weekend he turns 15 months, but I'm going to work on taking my time with him and molding and shaping him into a great, prepared dog before I throw him on course. (Not to mention my contact training will most likely NOT be done, and I won't be able to get much practice in during the colder months!) It's NOT a race. Many people sure do act like it is, but screw that. I'm taking my good ol' time and will debut him when he and I are both ready to start our agility journey together. I think we may just debut in ASCA first if there is a near-by trial when he turns 18 months. Ah, I love ASCA.

Can't wait to see what the future has in store for us!
And here is a picture I took of him, drooling from excitement, on his first birthday!
Happy birthday, you crazy little ball of insanity!



No comments:

Post a Comment